Principles in Action
Throughout history, Islam has always had to address new ideas, ideologies, and movements.
As Islam spread to different parts of the world, it was the task of scholars to understand the social, political, religious, and cultural landscape of that place.
Our times are no exception. Muslims today are faced with all sorts of new ideas that require an Islamic perspective:
- New Atheism
- Secularism & Democracy
- Identity & Integration
- Science and Religion
- Religious Innovation (bid’ah)
The ideas are new, but the process is not. Our scholars approach these issues the same way they approached issues throughout our history. The principles and tools that they use, derived from the primary sources, are timeless and haven’t changed.
This course will highlight and address some prevalent issues facing Muslims today using the same tools that were used to face issues of the past.
This course will teach you how to:
- Use critical thinking and legal principles to contextualize modern ideas
- Communicate Islamic practices using higher level principles
- Understand how scholars approach modern issues
- Consider how the Prophet related his thought processes to his words and deeds